I don’t know if it’s winter or my hormones but I’m craving chocolate like crazy lately. Do you know this feeling? It’s dark, grey, and cold outside and you just want something that lifts your mood? A cup of homemade hot chocolate might just do the trick.
Chocolate makes us happy. It’s scientificially proven. So no wonder we need more of it during the darker months (not that I would need another excuse to get my chocolate fix). But living a healthy lifestyle and too much of that store-bought processed cacao does not really go together well.
Besides, my gut reacts very sensitively to processed sugar. Thankfully, there are many healthier options out there that taste just as good as the real deal and give you the chocolate fix you need.Jump to Recipe
Take mug cakes for example. There are whipped up and ready to eat in a matter of minutes. I usually make mine with peanut butter, cacao powder, coconut milk, egg white, and a little marple syrup (serious chocolate heaven on earth!). But lately, it just sat a little to heavy in stomach, Especially, when that sweet tooth hits late at night.
That’s when I rediscovered hot chocolate. And with Valentine’s Day around the corner, could there be anything more romantic than sharing a cup of hot cacao with your beau or BBF?
Valentine’s Day Hot Chocolate
- 1/250 cup/ml plant-based milk (I usually mix soy with coconut milk)
- 2-3 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup/honey (you can always make it sweeter according to your liking)
- heart sprinkles (optional)
- Heat milk in the microwave for 2 minutes or until hot. You can also heat the milk on the stove and stir in the cacao powder.
- Add milk and cacao powder to your Nutri Bullet or blender and blend until combined.
- Fill in a cup, sweeten with maple syrup or honey, and enjoy!
How fabulous does this Hot Chocolate taste? I will definitely have one or two chocolate-covered date hearts along with it. Because can there every be enough chocolate?!
Make sure to share your creations with me on the gram @madeleinestanev !