If you have been following me for a while, you know that I’ve struggled with gut issues for quite some time now. It always worsens in stressful situations and it doesn’t matter if these are work or leisure related. When these times strike, I turn to grounding food such as this plant-based Vietnamese peanut curry.
The past holiday season was especially stressful again. Usually a time I enjoy to the fullest but also a time where I drink way too much, eat way too much crap and move way too little. Even though adapting intuitive eating has helped me tremendously navigating Christmas last year, my gut still was upset.Jump to Recipe
On one of these days while at my parents’ house – it also happened to be the first day of my period – I felt especially bad. I wasn’t really hungry, felt bloated, and had some light cramping. My parents wanted to go to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch right around the corner. I decided to go with them but knew I wouldn’t eat anything.
Looking into the menu, though, I saw this peanut curry dish that sounded very appealing. I gave the vegan option with lots of veggies and tofu a try and OMG was it good! It felt soothing and satisfying at the same time and I did neither feel bloated nor stuffed afterwards (something that happens to me regularly when eating Asian food).
Back home, I decided to recreate this dish. I turned to Pinterest to get a general idea on how to cook the curry and what ingredients to use, and then put my twist on it.
Let me tell you, it turned out more than delicious! My boyfriend liked it so much that he almost ate the entire portion I made. That’s when I knew I had to share this recipe for plant-based Vietnamese peanut curry with you guys!
Plant-based Vietnamese Peanut Curry
- 1 1/2 inch fresh ginger sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds ground
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 carrots
- 1 pck. tofu natural
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 small sweet potato
- 4 tbsp peanut butter natural, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- dash of tumeric
- Chop veggies, sweet potato, and tofu.
- Saute ginger in coconut oil.
- Add curry powder and coriander seeds and fry everything until you smell roast aroma.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add veggies, sweet potato, and tofu.
- Stir in unsweetened peanut butter, coconut sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- Add paprika powder, tumeric, salt, and pepper to your liking. You can also add some cayenne pepper if you feel extra spicy.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Stir again before serving.
- It tastes amazing when served with brown rice but you can also enjoy it pure or with quinoa.
Can’t wait to hear what you think! Share your creations with me @madeleinestanev